Advertisement:
Post a story

History ›
News ›

Orthodontist’s office could be named historic landmark

This home at 23842 Main St., currently an orthodontist office, could be designated as a historical landmark if trustees approve it. (Michelle Manchir/Tribune)

This home at 23842 Main St., currently an orthodontist office, could be designated as a historical landmark if trustees approve it. (Michelle Manchir/Tribune)

The home at the corner of Michigan and Main Streets, which is more than 150 years old, could be considered a historical landmark if village trustees approve it tonight.

The house, now used as an orthodontist office by Steven Moravec, was originally constructed in 1852. It was originally owned by Jonathan Hagar, who served as a Justice of the Peace for Plainfield in the mid-1800s, according to documents from historic preservation commission president Michael Bortel.

The house is a combination of early Victorian, Greek and Gothic Revival architecture and represents a period of transition in the style of homes built in Plainfield, according to the documents.

Village trustees will consider adding the two story home to the village’s list of local historic landmarks at 7 p.m. tonight at Village Hall, 24401 W. Lockport St.

There are currently 12 designated local landmarks in Plainfield, including the homes at 23839 W. Main St. and 15005 S. Bartlett Ave.

To see a complete list of local landmarks, visit the Historic Preservation’s website at www.plainfield-il.org/initiatives/hp_landmarks.php.

Share this story

Recommended stories