Post a story

Crime ›
News ›

No bail for man charged in Naperville bar stabbing

CT  CTH met-0218-olaska MJW

By Clifford Ward
Special to the Tribune

A judge revoked bail Friday for the man accused in a barroom murder after prosecutors alleged that he pulled a knife on another patron shortly before he fatally stabbed a Naperville teacher.

Daniel J. Olaska, 27, of Naperville is being held in the DuPage County jail, charged with the first-degree murder of Shaun Wild, 24, last month at a downtown Naperville nightclub. Bail initially was set at $3 million, but Olaska had been held without bail pending a prosecution motion to keep him from being released.

Judge Kathryn Creswell formally revoked the bail after prosecutors said Olaska was involved in earlier altercations at Frankie’s Blue Room and then made attempts to escape the club after stabbing Wild, a friend of Wild’s and a club employee. Olaska also is charged with two counts of attempted murder.

“By all accounts, the defendant was looking for trouble that night,” Assistant State’s Attorney Demetri Demopoulos said.

The stabbing happened around 12:45 a.m. Feb. 4 when Wild tried to intercede in a dispute between Olaska and Wild’s friend, William Hayes. Authorities say Olaska stabbed Hayes after Hayes chided him for drinking beer from a wine glass, and he then stabbed Wild in the chest when the second-grade teacher tried to stop him from leaving the bar.

Twenty to 30 minutes before the stabbing, the prosecutor said, Olaska threatened another patron. Demopoulos said the man had been dancing with a woman he had just met when Olaska came up and broke in. Thinking that Olaska was the woman’s boyfriend, the man walked away, Demopoulos said.

Later the man apologized to Olaska and Olaska allegedly pulled a knife and told the man, “It will be taken care of,” according to the prosecutor.

Olaska also reportedly pestered two women at the bar and interjected himself into a couple’s argument, shouting profanities at the woman.

Following the stabbings, Olaska, who was spattered with the blood of his victims, fell to the floor and cried out that he had been stabbed and then tried to crawl on the floor toward the door, the prosecutor said.

He was detained on the stairwell leading down from the second-floor club by Naperville police, but resisted arrest and reportedly said “You’ll get yours” to the police officer who transported him, Demopoulos said.

Olaska attorney Brian Telander argued for the judge to keep bail at $3 million and said Olaska could be placed on house arrest and be ordered to wear a GPS unit. But the judge said that would not sufficiently protect the public and denied bond.

Olaska has no criminal record and worked as a manager at the Schaumburg airport.

As was the case two week ago, family and friends of both Olaska and Wild again crowded the courtroom.

Wild’s mother, Jami Wild of Brown Deer, Wis., said afterward she was satisfied by the judge’s ruling.

She also said there has been an overwhelming outpouring of support for her family since her son’s death. Wild’s family has set up a scholarship fund in his name in Brown Deer and North Central College, Wild’s alma mater, has also set up a Shaun Wild memorial fund.

“We’ve been very touched and moved by the generosity of so many people,” said Wild, who said her family on finding positives from their tragedy.

“That’s what we’re really trying to do – keep moving forward,” she said.

Share this story

Recommended stories