Advertisement:
Post a story

Education ›

From the community

Coast Guard Auxiliary to Hold Boater Education Classes

SAINT CHARLES – Local USCG Auxiliary Flotilla announces thirteen Boater Education Classes in and around the Kane County area for 2012 starting in early February.

Flotilla 41-7 9WR will be hosting thirteen Boater Education Classes in 2012, seven will be held at Cabela’s in Hoffman Estates, five at Gander Mountain in Geneva and one at Carl Stirn’s Marine in Aurora. Classes are certified by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and taught by Coast Guard Auxiliary Instructors.

Classes are eight to nine hours in length consisting of classroom instruction, reviews, stories, videos and final exam covering federal, state and local boating laws; required safety equipment; safe boating; basic navigation; boating problems; moving and storage of boats. Upon completion of the class students are awarded a Certificate of Completion and wallet card.

The Certificate of Completion is accepted by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources under the Illinois Boat Registration and Safety Act of 1978. The Illinois Boat Registration and Safety Act of 1978 requires persons between the ages of 12 and 18 to carry on theirs person a Certificate of Completion or Competency to operate a Personal Watercraft (PWC) or a Motorboat.

For more information or to register for a class contact: Flotilla 41-7 9WR’s Public Education team by phone at (224) 325 – 4104, email pub.ed@flotilla41-07.org or visit www.flotilla41-07.org.

The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, the uniformed civilian, volunteer Component of Team Coast Guard assists the active duty Coast Guard in all of its varied missions, except for military and direct law enforcement. These men and women can be found on the nation's waterways, in the air, in classrooms and on the dock, performing Maritime Domain Awareness patrols, safety patrols, vessel safety checks and public education.

The United States Coast Guard Auxiliary was founded in 1939 by an Act of Congress as the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve and re-designated the Auxiliary in 1941. Its over 28,000 members contribute millions of hours annually in support of Coast Guard missions.

Flag as inappropriate

Share this story

Recommended stories